Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Solution to Overspending!

No, no. Not a solution to my overspending. One would must first posess money in order to actually spend it. ;) I was referring to….

Politics. An interesting subject that causes many individuals to spew mean and hateful words, act untoward to others, defame others property, and make degrading and sometime false accusations about others. All because we don’t see eye to eye on things. I for one think so many of our issues would be solved if our leaders would step back and realize that it isn’t about always being right and having things their way. It can actually be a happy medium between everyone’s way. I would say most of the time things aren’t solved because everyone is too prideful. I admit that it can be a hard thing to over come, but not if you are honest with yourself.

I have to say though, that I believe I can help solve part of the problems that troubles our government leaders when deciding – “how to spend more money wisely”. It’s called Project Management. Now, work with me here. I mean seriously, it can be applied to every type of program or new “amazing idea” that is brought to the table. So many times ideas are just thrown out for “a new stimulus package” or “universal healthcare” with out any sort of “we tested this and this is how it’s going to be overseen”. There is no step by step process. No checks and balances. I mean look at the last bailout.


To date, I am pretty sure that one of the biggest problems with Medicare is the amount of fraud that is taking place. But no one tries to implement a process to watch the spending/fraud and see how that turns out. Think how much money would be saved if programs were actually managed and problems were addressed and not just “swept under the rug” by spending more money. Private companies, that want to be successful of course, do this. And guess what? If it doesn’t work, they typically stop and reassess things to avoid loosing more money and try to think of a better way to do things, or just stop the process all together when and if they realize it isn’t a good business plan.

But I’ll digress; I just wanted to throw out my idea of Project Management for our own government, because I’m pretty sure that they would find that it actually works. They should attend a class, or actually hire a few Project Mangers, that do their job, of course. ;) What really made be start thinking about all of this was when I was reading various politically going on’s and came across a topic about the Treasury Secretary nomination of Tim Geithner. Now, I’m definitely not one to decide whether he actually made an honest mistake in paying his own taxes, however someone posted a comment in response to that and it made me laugh:

“and his (Obama’s) pick for Finance: Can we not find an honest man in the U.S? The first step in continuing a corrupt Washington is saying that tax mistakes (?) and other digressions are “no big deal.” I’ve used TurboTax; they warn you if you miss something. You have to override the error to get it to finish. It is not something you can miss.”

I’ll just leave this with everyone to be safe this taxing season, use Turbo tax, or get someone who knows what they are doing to do your taxes. But it’s not like you are going to be the next Treasury Secretary, so no worries ;)

No comments: